Simons, 22, had been targeted by Chelsea earlier on in the window only for their London rivals Tottenham now leapfrogging them in the race to sign him

Tottenham have fought to the front of the chase to sign Xavi Simons with Leipzig prepared to sell for £60million and expecting a bid.

Spurs have turned their attention to the 22-year-old Netherlands international after failing in their attempts to land Morgan Gibbs-White, Eberechi Eze or Savinho.

The deal appears there to be done with Simons, a versatile attacking midfielder who can play as an energetic number 10 or wide, given permission by Leipzig to leave the training camp and complete a move.

Chelsea have been closely on his trail throughout the summer. Personal terms have long since been agreed and Simon was keen on a move to Stamford Bridge.

There has been no firm bid however from the Blues. They have been focused on making sales to comply with UEFA’s financial restrictions, with Christopher Nkunku close to a move to AC Milan, and on signing winter Alexandre Garnacho from Manchester United.

Spurs can take advantage but will be wary because of the ways things played out with Eze and Crystal Palace. They knew Eze always preferred a move to Arsenal, who moved back into the equation at the 11th hour to hijack a move agreed by Daniel Levy.

Simons, 22, had been targeted by Chelsea earlier on in the window only for their London rivals Tottenham now leapfrogging them in the race to sign him

Simons, 22, had been targeted by Chelsea earlier on in the window only for their London rivals Tottenham now leapfrogging them in the race to sign him

Simons is said to have been 'released until further notice for future discussions,' according to the publication after they contacted club officials

Simons is said to have been ‘released until further notice for future discussions,’ according to the publication after they contacted club officials

Chelsea could feasibly do the same before Monday’s deadline, but Tottenham chairman Levy has a strong relationship with Leipzig having dealt with them in the last two years to sign Timo Werner twice on loan.

Leipzig want to sell and make a move for Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott, a deal which has the backing of Jurgen Klopp, Red Bull’s head of global soccer.

You May Also Like

Arsenal 2-2 Crystal Palace: Jean-Philippe Mateta’s brilliant lob secures share of spoils for Eagles to put Liverpool just one point away from Premier League title

For all the understandable excitement about their progress to the last four…

Liverpool reject Crystal Palace’s £15m bid for in-form star… just days after turning down Real Madrid’s £20m approach for Trent Alexander-Arnold

Crystal Palace have had an opening £15million bid rejected for Liverpool winger…

Revealed: The VERY surprising job Aussie soccer legend Mark Viduka is doing in retirement – as his controversial quip about his wife resurfaces

Mark Viduka is one of Australia’s best ever footballers Excelled in Croatia,…

Endrick and Lamine Yamal were born before the explosion of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo’s era in Spain but they’re set for another rivalry for the ages… the wonderkids will shape Real Madrid and Barcelona’s destiny

They were born within a year of each other – just before…