Kobbie Mainoo 'tells Man United he wants to LEAVE on loan before end of the transfer window' as club's stance on his future is revealed

Kobbie Mainoo has reportedly told Manchester United he wants to leave on loan this summer to search for regular game time – but the club will not sanction the move.

The 20-year-old made his first appearance of the campaign in United’s dismal Carabao Cup defeat by Grimsby on Wednesday night and has been told by Ruben Amorim that he is competing with captain Bruno Fernandes for a midfield spot.

According to The Athletic, Mainoo informed United of his desire for a temporary departure on Thursday, although he does not want to completely sever ties.

In response, United told the academy graduate that they will not sanction the deal, and that they expect him to stay and fight for a place in Amorim’s starting XI.

Mainoo is targeting more first-team football ahead of a potential England call-up for next summer’s World Cup, and the youngster is said to be aware that his current predicament at Old Trafford is affecting his development. 

Daily Mail Sport reported earlier this week that Mainoo would be open to joining a Champions League club, and 10 potential suitors have expressed an interest. These are understood to include both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.

A host of Premier League sides are also keeping a keen eye on his situation.

Mainoo is unhappy with his bit-part role this season, having been an unused substitute in United’s first two top-flight matches, a 1-0 defeat by Arsenal and the 1-1 draw with Fulham, when Amorim opted to bring on two defenders over him.

Earlier this summer, Daily Mail Sport reported that United were begrudgingly open to selling Mainoo on a permanent basis as the funds raised would be recorded as pure profit on the books, helping to alleviate the club’s PSR headache. 

Mainoo made 37 appearances in all competitions last season but found his minutes restricted after Amorim replaced Erik ten Hag at the helm.

He played the entirety of the chastening cup knockout at the hands of Grimsby – and scored his penalty in the shootout – on a night in which Amorim appeared to publicly raise the prospect that he could walk away from the job. 

Amorim is set to hold showdown talks with United’s hierarchy during the upcoming international break, a summit which could directly affect Mainoo’s long-term future. 

Mainoo played in all but one of England’s Euro 2024 games under Gareth Southgate, but has been overlooked by Thomas Tuchel since he took charge in January. 

Speaking ahead of the defeat by Grimsby, Amorim laid down the gauntlet, warning Mainoo he had to oust Fernandes from the side to start. 

‘I expect a lot from Kobbie Mainoo,’ he said. ‘People think that sometimes you need to just give, I think it’s important for Kobbie to fight for his place. 

‘I believe a lot in Kobbie, more than everybody thinks. He’s playing in one position, he’s fighting with Bruno.

‘If they can play together. We need to improve that position and you can see it against Fulham. I expect the best from Kobbie, the same as everybody.’

Manchester UnitedKobbie Mainoo

You May Also Like

British Airways PILOTS are called in to help with Premier League’s VAR farce – giving refs tips from dealing with air traffic control to ditch their ‘mate-y’ chat and be clearer in communication

The Premier League asked BA pilots to do a presentation for their…

Newcastle have £50m bid for Premier League star REJECTED as Magpies suffer blow in striker pursuit

By DAVID KENT Published: 11:36 EDT, 25 August 2025 | Updated: 11:36…

Brighton 3-2 Wolves: Carlos Baleba’s stunning strike sees Seagulls continue their unbeaten start under young boss Fabian Hurzeler as they book spot in Carabao Cup fourth round

Carlos Baleba and Simon Adingra put the home side in firm control…

Meet the Welsh minnows with 179 fans dreaming of taking down giants Fiorentina in the Conference League – before flying home from Tuscany on Ryanair

Unlike Liverpool or Arsenal after their recent Champions League excursions to Italy,…