Dancing With the Stars alum Cheryl Burke has issued a public apology after posting a social media video that included the sound of a gunshot, just hours after a deadly school shooting in Minneapolis.
On Wednesday night, the 41-year-old professional dancer took to Instagram to address the backlash.
‘I want to take a moment to acknowledge something very important. Less than an hour ago, I posted a transition video that included the sound of a gun,’ she wrote. ‘At the time, I was completely unaware of the horrific school shooting that took place today in Minneapolis at a Catholic school.’
She went on to confirm that she immediately deleted the clip after learning of the tragedy.
‘Out of respect for the lives impacted, I have already taken that post down. I want to be clear … that does not erase the reality that my post could have caused pain, discomfort or even retraumatization for those affected by [the] tragedy. For that, I am deeply sorry.’
Earlier that day, an armed shooter opened fire at the Church of the Annunciation in Minneapolis, where a Catholic school is located.

Dancing With the Stars alum Cheryl Burke issued an apology after posting a social media video that included the sound of a gunshot, just hours after a deadly school shooting in Minneapolis
Two children were killed and 17 others were injured in the attack.
Authorities later confirmed that the suspected gunman died at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Burke went on to explain that her video was originally intended as a ‘transition’ post showing her glam routine.
‘I never want my content — no matter the intent — to feel careless or disconnected from the world we live in,’ she said. ‘I take full responsibility for what I put out into the world, and this is a reminder for me to always pause, reflect and be more mindful of the timing and impact.’
The former pro dancer offered her ‘heart and prayers’ to the victims, their families and ‘entire community mourning this unimaginable loss.’
‘I know words cannot undo harm, but I hope this message makes clear that I am holding myself accountable and moving forward with more awareness and sensitivity,’ she concluded.
Her apology came as the city of Minneapolis continued to reel from the devastating attack, which left two children dead and more than a dozen others injured.
Earlier that day, an armed shooter opened fire at the Church of the Annunciation in Minneapolis, where a Catholic school is located.


!['At the time, I was completely unaware of the horrific school shooting that took place [yesterday] in Minneapolis at a Catholic school,' she wrote in an Instagram statement on Wednesday night](https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2025/08/29/04/101641291-15044365-_At_the_time_I_was_completely_unaware_of_the_horrific_school_sho-a-32_1756437929775.jpg)
‘At the time, I was completely unaware of the horrific school shooting that took place [yesterday] in Minneapolis at a Catholic school,’ she wrote in an Instagram statement on Wednesday night
Authorities confirmed that two children were killed and 17 others injured in what police described as a ‘deliberate act of violence.’
The suspected gunman, identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman — who was transgender and previously went by Robert — died at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Dressed in all black and armed with a rifle, a shotgun and a pistol, Westman fired dozens of rounds into the church’s stained glass windows as children, parents and staff scrambled for cover.
All of the firearms used in the attack were legally purchased, officials said.
Police also revealed the shooter had barricaded doors with wooden planks to prevent people from escaping.
‘During the mass, the gunman approached on the outside, on the side of the building, and began firing a rifle through the church windows towards the children sitting in the pews at the mass,’ Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said. ‘Shooting through the windows, he struck children and worshipers that were inside the building.’
‘There are no words that capture the horror of this unspeakable act,’ O’Hara added, calling the attack an act of ‘cowardice.’

Earlier that day, an armed shooter opened fire at the Church of the Annunciation in Minneapolis, where a Catholic school is located

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey (seen sitting on steps of the Annunciation Church) described himself as ‘deeply saddened’ by the tragedy, urging the nation to grasp the gravity of what had unfolded
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey described himself as ‘deeply saddened’ by the tragedy, urging the nation to grasp the gravity of what had unfolded.
‘Children are dead, you cannot put into words the gravity, tragedy or absolute pain of this moment,’ he said at a press conference. ‘Don’t just say this is about thoughts and prayers right now. These kids were literally praying. It was the first week of school.’
Parents described a scene of chaos as children were evacuated, many crying and covered in blood.
One boy told his father, ‘I don’t feel safe,’ while another local resident said he held hands with three wounded children, including one shot in the neck.
Medics on emergency dispatch confirmed that several of the victims were in critical condition, including a 10-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the head.
As investigators continue searching for a motive, the city is grappling with grief and shock — a community left shattered in what was meant to be the hopeful first week of a new school year.

Parents comfort their children after a gunman opened fire on Annunciation Catholic Church

Parents described a scene of chaos as children were evacuated, many crying and covered in blood
A heartbroken parent who attended Wednesday morning’s mass said the gunman fired ’50 to 100 shots’ as students and staff.
‘This is terrible,’ the parent told The Minnesota Star Tribune. ‘This is evil. I don’t know how you defend against this.’
Dozens of children were evacuated from the church, with one nearby resident claiming many were crying and covered in blood as they were shuffled out.
One little boy who walked away from the Annunciation Church shooting reportedly told his father, ‘I don’t feel safe’.
Another local told the Star Tribune that he held hands with three children who suffered gunshot wounds, including one who was shot in the neck.
Medics on emergency dispatch audio obtained by the outlet reported that a 10-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the head was being transported.
Additionally the audio said, ‘We have two patients with gunshot wounds to their head in front [of the church]… we have a critical [victim] in the rear of the church.’