The Albanese Government has accused March for Australia organisers of trying to intimidate immigrants ahead of nationwide rallies planned for Sunday.
March for Australia says it will stage demonstrations across all capital cities, as well as in Townsville and Cairns, from 12pm on Sunday.
The group argues that ‘endless migration, weak leadership, and political cowardice’ have changed the country in ways ‘most Australians never agreed to.’
The Albanese Government condemned the protests in a joint statement issued by Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke and Multicultural Affairs Minister Dr Anne Aly.
‘The Albanese Government stands against the events planned this weekend,’ the statement said.
‘All Australians, no matter their heritage, have the right to feel safe and welcome in our community. There is no place for any type of hate in Australia.’
Dr Aly accused the group of being driven by the far right and warned their actions would leave migrants fearful.
‘Multiculturalism is an integral and valued part of our national identity,’ she said. ‘We stand with all Australians, no matter where they were born, against those who seek to divide us and who seek to intimidate migrant communities.
‘We will not be intimidated. This brand of far-right activism, grounded in racism and ethnocentrism, has no place in modern Australia.’

Minister for Multicultural Affairs Dr Anne Aly (left) said rally orgnaisers were ‘far right’ and racist

The nation-wide protests are expected to attract big crowds on Sunday
Tony Burke added: ‘There is no place in our country for people who seek to divide and undermine our social cohesion. We stand with modern Australia against these rallies, nothing could be less Australian.’
Indian migrant Amar Singh, founder of the charity Turbans 4 Australia and winner of the 2023 Australian Local Hero award, said he feared for his safety if he went out on Sunday.
‘I sincerely urge people that are hosting this protest to rethink their position,’ he told Daily Mail.
‘I also want to warn other people who might be out and about doing the work on the 31st to be careful if this does go ahead, because this sort of hate does not discriminate.’
Several Indian influencers in Australia have advised fellow migrants not to leave their homes on Sunday, fearing the rallies could spark an emotionally charged and dangerous atmosphere.
March for Australia claims the protests are not linked to extremist groups such as the neo-Nazi National Socialist Network, White Australia, or Thomas Sewell Uncensored. The group insists it is a ‘grassroots coalition of nationalists, patriots, and everyday Australians.’
In a manifesto ahead of the protests, the group cited a June 2025 Lowy Institute poll showing most Australians believe migration levels are ‘too high’.

Minister for Home Affairs Tony Burke says the rallies look to divide Aussies

The flyer that March for Australia released earlier in the week explaining its motives

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese presents the 2023 Local Hero Amar Singh at the Australian of the Year Awards
‘Polling by the Lowy Institute in June 2025 found that the majority of Australians think the number of migrants coming into the country each year is “too high”.
‘This is a transformation that we never sought, nor consented to. Our political elite ignore the views of the majority, yet call it democracy,’ the group said.
The organisers also accused big business of driving mass migration.
‘Whether it’s Coles and Woolworths, the big banks, Harry Triguboff (the founder of Meriton apartments), universities or the Business Council of Australia – they all want “Big Australia” (a population of 100m+ ASAP). Each migrant means they can sell another 365 days’ worth of food, or another mortgage. The only cost? Our nation.’
March for Australia migration is causing profound cultural change.
‘We know migration has a cultural impact. This isn’t a slight cultural change – it’s replacement plain and simple. Australia is not an economic zone to be exploited by international finance. Australia is our home. If Albo and Ley won’t make a stand, it’s up to us.’
Protests are scheduled to take place at Belmore Park in Sydney, outside Flinders Street Station in Melbourne, at Roma Street Parklands in Brisbane, Supreme Court Gardens in Perth, Rundle Park in Adelaide, Regatta Point in Canberra, Darwin Civic Centre, Anzac Memorial Park in Townsville, and Freedom Park in Cairns.
March for Australia says ‘thousands of Australians’ will march simultaneously at the nine locations.
The government’s condemnation has sparked accusations of double standards from some Australians online.
‘So the Albanese Government stands against the rallies planned for the weekend. Has he (Albanese) ever condemned the pro-Palestine rallies which are held every weekend?’ one person wrote.
Another said: ‘So ridiculous that the Labor Government would point fingers saying a pro-Australia march is divisive when they had a referendum to enshrine racial division in our constitution.’
A third person added: ‘How dare Anne Aly accuse me and all those millions like me who care deeply about the divisions tearing our country apart of “far right activism” and racism.