- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
Barnsley cemetery is sealed off by police after grave...
Array

Barnsley cemetery is sealed off by police after grave is found ‘partially dug up’

-

- Advertisment -

Police are guarding a city centre cemetery after it was discovered that a grave had been partially dug up – amid rumours that someone stole jewellery from a woman’s corpse buried in the 1980s.

Forensic tents were seen erected in a section of Carlton Cemetery, in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, which was cordoned off with tape.

Police were first called to the cemetery shortly before 3pm on Monday by a passer-by.

They said they found a ‘disturbance to a grave’ and later confirmed that it wasn’t part of any ‘pre-planned activity’.

Police are guarding a city centre cemetery after it was discovered that a grave had been partially dug up - amid rumours that someone stole jewellery from a corpse buried in the 1980s

Police are guarding a city centre cemetery after it was discovered that a grave had been partially dug up - amid rumours that someone stole jewellery from a corpse buried in the 1980s

Police are guarding a city centre cemetery after it was discovered that a grave had been partially dug up – amid rumours that someone stole jewellery from a corpse buried in the 1980s

Police were first called to Carlton Cemetery, in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, shortly before 3pm on Monday by a passer-by

Police were first called to Carlton Cemetery, in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, shortly before 3pm on Monday by a passer-by

 Police were first called to Carlton Cemetery, in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, shortly before 3pm on Monday by a passer-by

They said they found a 'disturbance to a grave' and later confirmed that it wasn't part of any 'pre-planned activity'

They said they found a 'disturbance to a grave' and later confirmed that it wasn't part of any 'pre-planned activity'

They said they found a ‘disturbance to a grave’ and later confirmed that it wasn’t part of any ‘pre-planned activity’

Photos from Thursday showed a large section of graves at the cemetery cordoned off to the public, with police keeping watch.

Speculation among villagers is rife that somebody took jewellery or some other valuable item from the burial plot of a woman.

Pensioner Joe Fox, 79, who has lived in the village almost all his life, said: ‘I think it is a lot more than just criminal damage. You don’t have this many police here for so many days for a bit of damage.

‘This is not a normal incident… it is very strange.’

Another local said: ‘I’ve heard the hole was about 3ft deep. Police have been here ever since asking people if they saw anything.

‘That section of the graveyard is for people buried in the 1980s.

‘It’s upsetting because that is grave of somebody we might have known and who will probably still have family in the area.’

Margaret Smith, 70, said: ‘There are lots of rumours going round because the police aren’t telling us anything, but you have got to think it is someone trying to retrieve something buried with the body. You have to jump to the conclusion that it is jewellery of something of the kind.’

Police say they are now working with the council to understand what took place and are supporting the family who are connected to the disturbed grave.

Police say they are now working with the council to understand what took place and are supporting the family who are connected to the disturbed grave

Police say they are now working with the council to understand what took place and are supporting the family who are connected to the disturbed grave

Police say they are now working with the council to understand what took place and are supporting the family who are connected to the disturbed grave

A spokesperson from South Yorkshire Police said: ‘Police were called to Carlton Cemetery in Barnsley at 2.52 pm on Monday 2 May following reports from a passer-by that a grave had possibly been disturbed.

‘Officers attended and found disturbance to a grave within the cemetery that was not part of any pre-planned activity

‘We are working closely with Barnsley Council and other specialists to determine exactly what has taken place.

‘The family connected to the grave are aware of the work being carried out and are being supported by officers.

Paul Castle, Service Director for Environment and Transport at Barnsley Council, said that staff were ‘supporting police officers’ with their inquiries.

He said: ‘Police are investigating an incident at Carlton Cemetery and we’re supporting police officers in their investigation.

‘The cemetery remains closed for the time being and we thank residents for their patience and understanding.’

Carlton Cemetery was opened in 1935 and has over 22,000 throughout its grounds, with walkers and mourners free to access the site.

In June 2020 the cemetery was hit by a spate of reported vandalism to graves and headstones at the peak of lockdown, according to the Barnsley Chronicle.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting incident number 55.

Carlton Cemetery was opened in 1935 and has over 22,000 throughout its grounds, with walkers and mourners free to access the site

Carlton Cemetery was opened in 1935 and has over 22,000 throughout its grounds, with walkers and mourners free to access the site

Carlton Cemetery was opened in 1935 and has over 22,000 throughout its grounds, with walkers and mourners free to access the site

Source: Daily Mail

- Advertisement -

Latest news

Biden’s Contradictions On Defending Taiwan Are Dangerous

During his first trip to Asia as the U.S. president, Joe Biden said the U.S. military would defend Taiwan if China...

Fact Check: Did Lucia Loi and Marcus Rashford Have A Baby? Check Out Their Engagement Photos

Fact Check: Did Lucia Loi and Marcus Rashford Have A Baby? Marcus Rashford and Lucia Loi don’t have any...

Priscilla Presley in tears as ‘Elvis’ gets 12-minute standing ovation

Priscilla Presley was overcome with emotion after the forthcoming biopic “Elvis” received an extraordinary 12-minute standing ovation at the Cannes...

Shaughna Phillips looks different in rare TV appearance after ditching filler

Shaughna Phillips looked very different in a rare TV appearance on Tuesday as she embraced a more natural look...
- Advertisement -

Bridget Lancaster (America’s Test Kitchen) Bio, Family, Net Worth, Age, Height

Who is Bridget Lancaster? Bridget Lancaster is an American chef as well as a television personality, who is probably best...

MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace thinks Beto O’Rourke was treated rudely during his Texas news conference stunt – twitchy.com

Earlier today, Texas gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke attempted to hijack a news conference featuring Gov. Greg Abbott and others...

Must read

- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you

- Advertisement -