Everton midfielder Fabian Delph has been wrongly named online as the Premier League footballer suspended by the club over alleged child sex offences.
Thousands of social media users shared fake messages claiming that Delph had been arrested following a raid by Greater Manchester Police.
The confusion came after Everton said it had suspended one of its players pending a police investigation but did not name him.
Last night a club source told The Sun: ‘It’s been extremely unfortunate for Fabian.
‘He is entirely innocent and has been dragged into this by the club’s decision not to name the other player, directly leading to rumours spreading on unregulated websites and social media.’
Everton midfielder Fabian Delph was wrongly named online as the Premier League footballer suspended by the club over alleged child sex offences
In a statement, Greater Manchester Police had previously said: ‘Officers arrested a man on Friday, July 16 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences. He is on police bail pending further enquiries.’
Detectives raided his near-£2million home earlier this month in search of evidence.
A source said: ‘Several items were seized by cops. He was questioned in relation to very serious offences.’
Meanwhile, the experienced international star, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been suspended by his club while police investigate the allegations.
The experienced international star, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been suspended by his club while police investigate the allegations
Everton made its statement on its official website but gave no further details in relation to the situation
A spokesman for his club said: ‘We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
‘The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.’
News of the arrest has shocked the Premier League with the competition’s next season set to start in under four week’s time.
The source added that the news had ‘stunned the dressing room’ and that the player had since ‘gone to ground’ after being suspended.
On Monday night, the player’s agent declined to comment.
Source: Daily Mail