A pet owner has revealed that her dog was left ‘lifeless’ and ‘limp’ after a walk by a canal, amid a spate of dogs falling ill with a mystery big in recent days.
Nicola Jane, from Leeds, West Yorkshire, walked her six-month-old Lurcher along Hunslet canal when he became extremely poorly a few hours later.
The dog was left fighting an infection in his body for five days following the walk, which nearly killed him.
Nicola had also been walking a friend’s dog at the time who also became ill, though it managed to recover within a day.
She said that both dogs started showing symptoms within four hours of the walk and ‘seemed off’.
It comes amid reports of hundreds of dogs experiencing similar symptoms, sparking warnings from vets to avoid coastal walks.
Cases of dogs falling ill have been reported at Hayling Island beach and Langstone Harbour in Hampshire, Fraisthorpe Beach in East Riding, Bridlington and Redcar beach.
A woman’s dog was left ‘lifeless’ and ‘limp’ after a walk by Hunslet canal in West Yorkshire last week
Louisa Moss was ‘terrified’ when her eight month old Staffordshire bull terrier Nalu picked up a severe infection and became so ill it had to be put on a ventilator
David Arthur’s 13-month-old dog Odin went swimming every day at Hayling Island beach near Portsmouth, Hampshire, but had to be put to sleep after developing a lung infection
Ashley Brown-Bolton said she took her nine-month-old beagle spaniel Copper to Fraisthorpe Beach in the East Riding area on Sunday, and he started vomiting on Monday
Speaking about her lurcher’s battle with the mystery illness, Nicola said: ‘On day 3 he started to perk up, I thought the worst of it must be over and he was getting better like my friends dog.
‘I was still concerned but his food started staying down so I thought he must have been on the mend.
Nicola had read the stories online about what was going on at the Yorkshire coasts.
She added: ‘I woke up around 3am on night four, and just thought I was losing him. I thought he was dead, he was shaking and being sick, he was limp in my arms I thought he wasn’t coming back from this.
‘At that point in the night I took him to the emergency vet, I was really shocked with the numbers that were there. I was terrified.’
The vet carried out blood tests and kept the overnight for monitoring on IV fluids.
Nicola added: ‘He is a mess, he is like a skeleton he is that skinny. He lost that much weight. There was nothing on him, no life, he was limp, I thought he was gone, I thought I was losing him.’
She claimed the vets told her it was a virus that is spreading, originally from beaches. It has now apparently spread due to people going to beaches then back to cities.
Nicola also said the vets said it’s best to avoid the popular dog waking areas at the moment, as it’s spreading from dog to dog very quickly.
She said: ‘It’s strange, it’s kind of the same impact as covid, some dogs are handling it better, I have seen the difference firsthand between the two dogs.’
Relatives of Nicola have also had their dogs admitted to the vets, some for 3 days.
It comes after a dog owner told how his ‘fit and strong’ one-year-old Great Dane died after he developed a lung infection from swimming in ‘polluted’ sea water.
Miniature dachshund Honey (pictured) fell ill and stayed at a vet’s for three nights after developing haemorrhagic gastroenteritis
Jo Owen Blb said she takes her two male dogs to the beach between three and four times a week, but both have fallen ill. German Shepherd Oscar (pictured), has not recovered more than a week later
David Arthur’s 13-month-old dog Odin went swimming every day at Hayling Island beach near Portsmouth, Hampshire, but had to be put to sleep after developing a lung infection.
Mr Arthur, 59, from Cowplain, had already spent £6,000 on treating Odin but vets said the dog’s lungs were too badly damaged from pneumonia, with vets pointing to the sea as a likely cause of infection.
Another dog owner was left with a £12,000 vet bill after her Staffordshire bull terrier swam in polluted sea water and became ill.
Nalu, who is eight months old, picked up a severe infection when swimming at Langstone Harbour in Hayling Island, leaving her owner Louisa Moss, 47, ‘terrified.’
The dog became so ill that it had to be put on a ventilator and was struggling to breathe, with only a quarter of one of her lungs working and her owners were told she might die.
She spent six days at a veterinary specialist referral centre called Lumbry Park in Alton with aspirational pneumonia and E.coli and her owners were not allowed to visit her.
Dog owner Cath Baggins said her cocker spaniel puppy Roo spent six days in a vets after visiting Bridlington
Mrs Moss said: ‘We believe it came from her swimming in the sea, because we live near Langstone Harbour, we used to walk down there with her and take her into the water to get her used to the water because we have a boat and wanted her to come on it with us.
‘We ended up with a bill of about £12,000 because the vets told us she wouldn’t make it if she stayed with them because they didn’t have the equipment. It was so traumatic. I was in tears every single day, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.’
Veterinary nurse Brogan Proud, who runs Yorkshire Coast Pet Care, warned dog walkers to avoid the beaches after noticing a ‘high increase’ in pets suffering with diarrhoea and vomiting.
Her post sparked hundreds of Facebook posts from concerned and confused owners, reporting how their beloved pets have been struck down in recent days with ‘brutal’ symptoms including ‘severe sickness and diarrhoea’.
The British Veterinary Association has said it is aware of reports, but added there is currently no evidence linking walks on the beach to the bug.
The exact cause of the illnesses remains unclear, though owners have speculated that the mystery illness could be a viral infection passed between dogs.
Ashley Brown-Bolton said she took her nine-month-old beagle spaniel Copper to Fraisthorpe Beach in the East Riding area on Sunday, and he started vomiting on Monday.
She said the dog suffered diarrhoea and was unable to keep water for 24 hours and she took him to the vets on Tuesday.
She said: ‘The ones who know him know he’s normally very lively & always wanting to play so for him to be very sleepy & just not interested isn’t like him at all.’
Source: Daily Mail