Questions are mounting over Sarah Ferguson’s future after her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at Sandringham today.
The former Duchess of York, 66, has been lying low amid growing outrage over her ties to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein and is recently said to have spent time with friends in the French Alps before moving on to the United Arab Emirates.
She has also been spending time with her youngest daughter, Princess Eugenie, 35, who has been in the region for work, attending an art fair in Doha, Qatar, in her role as a director at dealer Hauser and Wirth.
But Fergie who has, along with her former husband Andrew, become a pariah in Britain has not been seen in public since September 25 2025 – when she was photographed being driven out of Royal Lodge.
Until recently the disgraced pair – who Fergie once described as the ‘happiest divorced couple in the world’ – continued to live together at Andrew’s vast Windsor mansion, a staggering three decades after their split.
But her future was plunged into further uncertainty today after Andrew, the eighth in line to the British throne who turns 66 today, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and is being held in custody.
Multiple unmarked police cars were seen swooping on Andrew’s new home in Sandringham, Norfolk, where he has been living since he and Sarah were forced out of Royal Lodge.
This is the first time the former prince, who has faced a several allegations relating to convicted sex offender Epstein, has been arrested.
Detectives are now carrying searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, Thames Valley Police said. It is not confirmed which properties are being searched but Royal Lodge is in Windsor, Berkshire, while his new home, Wood Farm is in Sandringham, Norfolk.
Andrew’s dramatic arrest comes in stark contrast to his ex-wife, Sarah, who has been keeping a low profile since leaving Royal Lodge.
Sarah Ferguson was last pictured being driven out of Royal Lodge on September 25 2025
Meanwhile on September 16 2025, she attended the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent, at Westminster Cathedral with Andrew
Fergie has also been spending time with her youngest daughter, Princess Eugenie , 35, who has been in the region for work, attending an art fair in Doha, Qatar, in her role as a director at dealer Hauser and Wirth. Eugenie is pictured with friend Caroline Daur at the art fair earlier this month
But sources say she has openly told friends: ‘I need to get back to work. I need money.’
It comes after emails between the ex-duchess and Epstein show her repeatedly chasing him for money to pay off her debts, as well as practical support over a considerable period of time.
They contain evidence she remained in close contact with him after he was released from prison for sex offences against children, even taking her two daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, to have lunch with him five days after his release.
She also privately issued a grovelling apology to Epstein for publicly denouncing him, claiming she only did so to protect her career as a children’s author.
She told him he had been a ‘steadfast, generous and supreme friend’.
As the fallout continues, friends believe that she may conclude that the only place where her former royal status may still open doors is in the Middle East.
Earlier this week, royal author Andrew Lownie, who wrote a damning book on the scandal-hit couple called Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York, said he believes that multi-millionaires in Dubai and the surrounding countries of Bahrain and Qatar will probably be bankrolling Fergie already.
He said: ‘In Britain neither Sarah or Andrew will be socially accepted again whatever they try to do or wherever they go. But in the Middle East no one will care about what they have got up to.
‘There are people there – royalty, politicians and business types – whom Sarah can quite happily sponge off and who will be happy to bankroll both of them.
A convoy of cars was seen driving close to Wood Farm shortly before it was revealed that Andrew had been arrested. He is in custody
A group of police officers in plain clothes arrive at Wood Farm this morning, where searches began
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on his birthday and is in police custody
Questions are mounting over what could now happen to Sarah Ferguson after her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at Sandringham today. Pictured: The family in a selfie posted on Instagram, including Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
‘These types of people in the Middle East simply couldn’t care less what Sarah has done. And even if she doesn’t have her title of the Duchess of York anymore, she will still be seen as royalty and treated as such – and she knows it.’
Last week, the Mail reported how Eugenie had left the UK for Qatar where she was working at a high-end contemporary art fair in Doha this week.
She and Beatrice are said to be ‘aghast’ at their mother’s embarrassing tranche of emails to Epstein.
Sources close to the sisters also said they are ‘appalled’ and ’embarrassed’ about the photos of their father crouching over a mystery woman lying on the floor in Epstein’s New York mansion.
Despite the deepening scandal, Eugenie smiled as model Caroline Daur, 30, put a comforting arm around the princess, who along with her older sister Beatrice was dragged into Epstein’s orbit by their mother and father.
Ms Daur, known as Caro to her friends, tagged Eugenie at Art Basel 2026, with the caption: ‘REUNION!!! It’s been too long’. The annual art fair in Qatar was also attended by David Beckham and Angeline Jolie.
Andrew’s ex-wife and his two daughters will no doubt be rocked by his high-profile arrest today. They have not commented yet.
A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: ‘As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
‘The man remains in police custody at this time.
‘We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.’
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.’