US soccer legend Megan Rapinoe made an awkward return to her podcast on Thursday

US soccer legend Megan Rapinoe made an extremely awkward return to her podcast on Thursday, a week on from shock split from longtime partner and co-host Sue Bird.

The sporting power couple, who had been dating for nearly a decade, announced last Friday that their relationship is over in a bombshell joint statement on social media.

Rapinoe, a two-time World Cup winner with the USA women’s soccer team, and WNBA legend Bird insisted the decision was not an easy one after calling time on their 10-year romance.

The sudden split also called into question the future of their popular podcast, ‘A Touch More,’ which they relaunched in 2024. 

US soccer legend Rapinoe appeared to answer those questions on Thursday afternoon as she made a solo return to the podcast she used to host with Bird.

In truth, her comeback left some viewers cringing, as Rapinoe delivered the hour-long show on her own. At times, she was answering questions she asked herself.

US soccer legend Megan Rapinoe made an awkward return to her podcast on Thursday

US soccer legend Megan Rapinoe made an awkward return to her podcast on Thursday

Rapinoe previously hosted the podcast with former WNBA star and partner Sue Bird

Rapinoe previously hosted the podcast with former WNBA star and partner Sue Bird

One particular moment saw Rapinoe say: ‘It’s now time for a touch more.’

She then said: ‘Megan, what do you have a touch more time for today?’

Jokingly, she replied to herself: ‘Oh, thanks for asking’. 

While Rapinoe may have found humor in the situation, some viewers at home struggled to watch the former US soccer star on her own. 

Taking to X, one fan said ‘it was SO weird’ to watch Rapinoe present the show on her own.

However, fans won’t have to watch a solo Rapinoe for much longer, after they revealed that they would be phasing out their show.

‘I hope you all know we put a lot of thought and care into this,’ said Rapinoe, who rose to fame as a member of the Women’s World Cup team in 2011, 2015 and 2019. 

‘It’s a decision that we made together. We’re still going to be there for all of you and for each other. It’s just going to look and feel a little bit different.

Bird and Rapinoe's joint podcast will slowly be phasing out following their shock split

Bird and Rapinoe’s joint podcast will slowly be phasing out following their shock split

The couple announced on Friday that they are going their separate ways after nearly a decade

The couple announced on Friday that they are going their separate ways after nearly a decade

‘We truly are evolving into something new to each other, to ourselves and to all of you, and we just wanted to say thank you for sharing this space with us and giving us this space for us to find ourselves in a different way through this podcast.’

Bird explained that they plan to release six more limited episodes before closing that chapter of their lives as a ‘farewell to you all and to this space.’

Moving on from their collaboration, Rapinoe is planning to start her own podcast, and Bird is committed to a second season of her own venture, ‘Bird’s Eye View.’

The sporting power couple had been dating for nearly a decade after first meeting backstage at a photoshoot for the 2016 Rio Olympics .

The athletes, both gold medal winners in their respective sports, got engaged in October 2020 but never tied the knot.

Rapinoe, 40, first came out in 2012 ahead of representing the USWNT on the Olympic stage at the London Games.

However, Bird, 45, was not publicly open about her sexuality until they went public with their relationship.

You May Also Like

Gabriel Martinelli shares heartwarming moment with Ian Wright after scoring against Crystal Palace as he reveals how Arsenal legend helped him after recent criticism

Arsenal winger Gabriel Martinelli shared heartwarming moment with Ian Wright  Martinelli, who…

Marcus Rashford ‘moves on from Man United’: Barcelona want to exercise their £26m purchase option – leaving Michael Carrick powerless even if he wants him back

By BEN WILLCOCKS, ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR Published: 04:37 EST, 2 February 2026…

Liverpool youngster Sepp Van den Berg admits £20m price tag is ‘majorly high’ – but insists he is ready to rise to the ‘compliment’ and fight for a place in new boss Arne Slot’s plans

Sepp Van den Berg has featured in both of Liverpool’s pre-season matches…

Meet the Club World Cup WAGs: Maya Jama and Co will be cheering on their partners during FIFA’s new tournament – but not all of them are set to travel to the United States

Daily Mail journalists select and curate the products that feature on our…