Baby found at foot of Hougang HDB block had umbilical cord attached, could have been stillborn - Mothership.SG

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates:

More details have since emerged after the body of a baby, the size of a foetus, was found at the foot of a block of public housing flats in Hougang on March 29.

Shin Min Daily News reported that the baby was believed to have been stillborn, and its body was discovered with its umbilical cord still attached at the bottom of Block 166 Hougang Avenue 1.

An 18-year-woman is assisting police in investigations and a unit on the second floor was initially cordoned off.

What residents heard

One resident told Shin Min that there were various accounts of what happened being disseminated initially, with speculation that the body on the ground floor was that of an elderly person who had fallen accidentally.

But it then transpired that the body belonged to a small baby.

The area the incident occurred was described as relatively quiet.

A neighbour of the family involved told the Chinese media that he was not aware that the 18-year-old woman was pregnant.

He had seen her walk past his unit on various occasions, but never had a chance to chat.

The unit that the police cordoned off consisted of three occupants: An elderly woman, the 18-year-old woman, and her father.

The elderly woman is reportedly the younger woman’s grandmother.

Another neighbour claimed he saw the lower half of the 18-year-old woman’s body covered in blood as she was conveyed to hospital.

Baby could have been stillborn

Shin Min reported that it has not been ruled out that the baby had already passed away when it was delivered.

The report added that the woman was understood to have given birth at home.

The body of the baby with its umbilical cord attached was then discovered downstairs.

It was not reported what happened in between the delivery and discovery of the baby.

After the body’s discovery, the elderly woman was seen at the void deck being interviewed by the police.

She was also seen on her phone.

'height' : 50, 'width' : 320, 'params' : {} }; document.write('');

Subsequently, a young man showed up and accompanied her.

Both of them declined to comment and went back into the flat.

Police officers were seen going through the rubbish bin in search of leads.

The police remained at the scene for about five hours until 4:30pm.

The police said they were alerted to a case of unnatural death at 11:32am that day.

Top photos via Shin Min Daily News

Similar Posts