Absent New Jersey Republican Tom Kean Jr. says he is running for reelection

Representative Tom Kean Jr. has confirmed he will run for reelection for a third term and expects to make a full recovery from an undisclosed medical issue that has sidelined him since March.

Speaking to the New Jersey Globe Thursday in his first interview since his absence began, the New Jersey Republican said his doctors are confident in his prognosis and that he expects to return to Washington, D.C., and the campaign trail within the next couple of weeks.

“I understand the need for public transparency, and I appreciate the support of my constituents,” Kean told the outlet, adding that he intends to publicly discuss the details of his illness soon.

The 57-year-old lawmaker said his condition has no expected long-term effects, chronic complications or impacts on his cognitive health, and that he remains in daily communication with his congressional staff.

The update follows weeks of speculation during which political allies and local party leaders, including Hunterdon County GOP Chairman Gabe Plumer, sought to quiet what Plumer described as a “rumor mill.”

Prior to Thursday’s interview, Kean had missed 99 roll call votes, having last cast a vote March 5.

Representative Tom Kean Jr. said he’s facing a ‘personal medical issue’
Representative Tom Kean Jr. said he’s facing a ‘personal medical issue’ (Kean for Congress/Facebook)

Before Kean broke his silence, the mystery surrounding his absence from Congress had deepened after a report by NOTUS revealed his neighbors in Westfield, New Jersey, had barely seen his wife, Rhonda Kean, either.

Neighbors told the outlet there had not been much activity around the congressman’s home in recent weeks.

NOTUS reporter Jose Pagliery spotted Kean’s wife outside her home Tuesday, but she told him “no comment” when he asked about her husband.

The Independent has contacted Kean’s office for comment.

Kean released a statement on April 27 explaining his absence. He cited a “personal medical issue” and said he’d be back to his congressional duties “very soon.”

“I take my responsibilities seriously and have a strong record of showing up and delivering, which makes this absence all the more difficult. I am especially proud of my Congressional team, who have kept constituent services and legislative work moving forward without interruption, and my political team for ensuring the campaign continues to run strong,” he said.

House Speaker Mike Johnson told reporters Wednesday he doesn’t know the details of Kean’s situation and reiterated he’s expected back in Washington “soon.”

“I talked to Tom — it’s been a few weeks ago now — on the phone, and he sounded good and optimistic and we’re expecting him back here soon,” Johnson said.

“He’s had a medical issue and he’s gonna be fully transparent and disclose all that, that’s what he told me. But I don’t even know the details,” he added.

Harrison Neely, a consultant working with the congressman’s political team, said Kean is facing a “personal medical situation and is under the care of doctors,” according to NOTUS.

“The expectation is that he is going to be 100 percent and totally healthy. The timeline for that looks very good,” he told the outlet.

Others close to Kean have confirmed he’s expected to recover, including his father, who told CNN last week he’s “hopefully coming back soon.”

“It took a real illness to knock him out. This won’t linger. It’s not some kind of disease that’s going to incapacitate him in the future. The consensus is that he will be 100 percent OK,” he said.

Dan Scharfenberger, the congressman’s chief of staff, also told The New York Times last week, “There’s no cameras where Tom is.”

You May Also Like

Dylan Mulvaney named to Forbes 30 Under 30 list.

Send to Email Address Your Name Your Email Address Cancel Post was…

Trump backs down from ‘full scale’ Iran attack scheduled for TOMORROW after plea from Gulf allies

Politics is fast. We’re faster. Sign up to the DC Insider newsletter…

Police Add Quick-Release Hijab to Uniform to Preserve ‘Modesty’ of Muslim Officers.

WE ARE 100% INDEPENDENT AND READER-FUNDED. FOR A GUARANTEED AD-FREE EXPERIENCE AND…

Welcome Home, Franklin Trailer Fixes Decades Old Peanuts Controversy

The newly released trailer for Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin fixes the…