FBI Says California Doctor Ran Largest Botox Fraud Scheme in U.S. History – RedState

A California doctor was convicted Monday in what federal officials called the largest Botox fraud scheme in the United States. Prosecutors said she billed Medicare for $45 million in injections that were never given, medically unnecessary, or used purely for cosmetic purposes. President Trump’s Task Force to Eliminate Fraud was built to catch schemes exactly like this one. 





Violetta Mailyan, 45, of Glendale, owned and operated Healthy Way Medical Center. A jury in the Central District of California convicted her of nine counts of wire fraud and three counts of obstruction of a criminal investigation tied to a health care offense. Federal prosecutors said Mailyan billed Medicare for Botox injections while vacationing in Cabo, Mexico; Maui, Hawaii; Las Vegas; Pennsylvania; and New York, and even submitted claims for a patient who was incarcerated in federal prison at the time.

Medicare reimburses Botox injections only when medically necessary to treat documented chronic migraines. Prosecutors said Mailyan billed the program for thousands of injections that were never provided, were performed for cosmetic purposes, or involved patients who had not been referred for chronic migraine treatment. Prosecutors laid it out:

According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, Violetta Mailyan, 45, of Glendale, owned and operated Healthy Way Medical Center, a clinic that purported to provide beauty and cosmetic services. Although Medicare reimburses medical providers for Botox injections when necessary to treat documented cases of chronic migraines, Mailyan billed and received payments for thousands of injections that were never provided or were provided only for cosmetic purposes or for patients whose primary care physicians had not referred them for treatment of chronic migraines. 





Evidence showed Mailyan billed Medicare for Botox injections while she was on vacation in Cabo, Mexico; Maui, Hawaii; Las Vegas; Pennsylvania; and New York. She also billed for injections allegedly given to a Medicare beneficiary who was incarcerated in federal prison at the time. 

Mailyan also billed for thousands of injections, worth more than $19 million, on days when her clinic was closed.

The Health Care Fraud Section’s Data Analytics Team flagged Mailyan after finding she had been paid more by Medicare for Medicare than in the country. At the time, DOJ said she had received more than $24 million over the previous four years, six times the next-highest group of providers, all of whom were neurologists.

Patrick Grandy, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office:

Physicians who defraud and manipulate federally funded health care programs to line their own pockets do so at the expense of American taxpayers and those who are in legitimate need of medical procedures. The FBI is gratified that the jury convicted Dr. Mailyan based on the evidence, which uncovered the largest Botox fraud scheme in the United States, to include brazenly billing for someone who was incarcerated. Furthermore, the FBI is committed to pursuing physicians and others in the healthcare system who fleece Medicare and, in doing so, drive up premiums and co-payments for law-abiding citizens.

The jury found the following assets were proceeds of the fraud and ordered them forfeited. That included a Tesla Model X, a Tesla Cybertruck, $251,124 in funds across multiple bank accounts, brokerage accounts valued at more than $7.3 million, and four properties in Surfside and Glendale, California, with a combined estimated equity of more than $7.3 million. 





The seized items also included luxury collectibles, including a $12,000 17th-century crossbow and a $3,000 painting.


Read More: Apparently Being Alive Was Optional Under Biden’s Student Loan Program


Mailyan is scheduled to be sentenced on September 10, 2026. She faces up to 20 years in prison for each wire fraud count and up to five years for each obstruction count. 

Since 2007, the Justice Department’s Health Care Fraud Strike Force Program has charged more than 6,200 defendants who collectively billed federal health care programs and private insurers more than $45 billion. The program now operates as part of Trump’s whole-of-government fraud task force, chaired by Vice President JD Vance. 

Medicare fraud is not a paperwork crime. In this case, it funded Cabo vacations, a Tesla Cybertruck, and a 17th-century crossbow bought with money meant for sick Americans.


Editor’s Note: The Democrat Party has never been less popular as voters reject its globalist agenda.

Help us continue exposing Democrats’ plans to lead America down a dangerous path. Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.



You May Also Like

Scandal hit Strictly RETURNS: Thomas Skinner’s dance partner is revealed as Amy Dowden as the Apprentice star hits the floor for the first time amid cheating scandal

Strictly Come Dancing return has been swept up in scandal once again this…

Mia Khalifa Whines About Israeli Diss Track; Steals 'Genocide' Claim

Former porn star Mia Khalifa, who celebrated the October 7 Hamas terror…

Nicole Richie addresses her daughter’s new identity after unveiling transformation on her 18th birthday

Nicole Richie has addressed her daughter’s new identity for the first time after…

Transfer news live: Arsenal’s Eze bid, Man Utd close on Sesko, Liverpool given boost for Isak move

Sesko picks Manchester over Newcastle Manchester United believe that Benjamin Sesko has…