
Three people are dead, and more than a dozen first responders were hospitalized after a suspected overdose at a rural New Mexico home turned into a full-blown hazmat emergency Wednesday morning.
The call came in around 8 a.m. for a possible overdose involving an unknown substance at a home near Hanlon Avenue and Pinon Street. First responders found one person dead outside the home, one dead inside, and two others who needed resuscitation. One of those two later died.
The surviving person from the residence was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where first responders were also evaluated after reporting symptoms including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headaches.
New Mexico State Police said first responders were exposed to the substance during the response. Albuquerque Fire Rescue Hazmat teams were called in to identify it.
“At this time, investigators believe the substance may be transmitted through contact and do not believe it to be airborne,” Officer Wilson Silver said.
State Police said there was no threat to the public, but officials asked people to avoid the area while investigators worked the scene.
Three people are dead and more than a dozen first responders were quarantined and being treated Wednesday for exposure to an unidentified substance after being called to a suspected drug overdose at a rural New Mexico home, authorities said. https://t.co/QF0ZkixdIZ
— NBC 10 WJAR (@NBC10) May 21, 2026
The toll climbed through the day. State Police said 25 people were exposed in total — three fatally. By Wednesday evening, 18 had been discharged from the University of New Mexico Hospital, one was being discharged, and three remained admitted.
Mountainair EMS Chief Josh Lewis was the first to enter the residence. He was hospitalized overnight for observation. Two other first responders were listed in serious condition, according to State Police.
Read More: Trump to Declare Opioid Crisis a “Public Health Emergency”
Massive Fentanyl Haul: CBP Grabs 100 Million Deadly Doses at Southwest Border
Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto said carbon monoxide and natural gas had been ruled out as causes.
Investigators said drugs were a likely factor, though the substance had not been identified.
The scene remained active late Wednesday, with law enforcement from multiple agencies on the rural property. Three bodies were placed on gurneys, loaded into a white van, and driven away as investigators continued working.
Nieto said the crisis has placed a growing strain on local communities and the people who respond to it. New Mexico had the fourth-highest drug overdose death rate in the country in 2024, with 775 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
“But the reality is that addiction and substance abuse are issues affecting communities all across our state and nation,” Nieto said. “There is no simple or immediate solution. Lasting change requires family support, accountability, education, and most importantly, individuals who are willing to accept help.”
As of Wednesday evening, the substance had not been publicly identified. The investigation continues.
Editor’s Note: Do you enjoy RedState’s conservative reporting that takes on the radical left and woke media? Support our work so that we can continue to bring you the truth.
Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.