Russia may be planning fresh offensive on Kyiv, warns Zelensky
We’ve heard from Volodymyr Zelensky, who has warned that Russia could be planning a fresh offensive against northern Ukraine targeting the capital of Kyiv.
The possible invasion could be made possible by deeper involvement from Belarus, he warned.
“Together with our military leadership, intelligence services, the Security Service of Ukraine, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, we discussed in detail the latest developments along the Belarus-Bryansk region direction,” the Ukrainian president said in his evening address.
“It is precisely from there that the Russians are considering scenarios for additional attacks against Ukraine – targeting our northern regions, our Chernihiv-Kyiv direction.”
Kyiv is already issuing orders to strengthen the region’s defence .
Relevant instructions have been issued to the military command, but separately, we are also taking preventive steps regarding both Belarus and designated parts of Russia from which the threat originates,” he added.
His government will also look persuade international partners to ramp up the diplomatic pressure on Kyiv.
Alex Croft20 May 2026 23:44
Chernobyl disaster zone has more wildlife than Ukraine’s reserves
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 23:00
In pictures: The Xi-Putin summit
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 22:00
Watch: Starmer under fire after UK quietly eases strict sanctions on Russian oil
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 21:00
Germany to invest in everyday shelters, shifting from Cold War bunkers
Germany’s government approved a new Civil Defense Plan on Wednesday, shifting from Cold War bunkers to everyday sites such as underground parking garages, tunnels and subway stations.
Debate over civil defense has intensified in Europe since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, and Germany has sharply increased military spending since then.
The plan is part-funded from a special fund exempt from debt rules that was approved last year, the Interior Ministry said.
Germany currently has 579 shelters for around 480,000 people, many of which have not been in use since the Cold War, according to government data released with the plan.
The government plans to invest €10 billion (£8.65 billion) to boost civil defence, alongside a wider military spending drive.
The money will be used to buy more than 1,000 special vehicles and protective suits and to upgrade the mass alert network.
The Interior Ministry also plans to install a central control unit to coordinate work across public entities.
“This concept from the 1980s, which has never worked, must be discarded in today’s modern security environment”, said interior minister Alexander Dobrindt. He said the new plan aims to improve protection in people’s homes and provide quicker access to safe places in public spaces.
Defence minister Boris Pistorius said the plan was based on lessons from Ukraine, where an app warns civilians of attacks and urges them to seek shelter. “We can never expect to have a shelter for all 80 million Germans,” Pistorius said
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 20:00
Watch: Badenoch slams Starmer for ‘choosing to buy ‘dirty Russian oil’
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 19:00
Chernobyl exclusion zone now has more wildlife than Ukraine’s nature reserves, study finds
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 17:00
In pictures: Moments from the Putin-Xi summit
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 16:00
Ukraine finalising first defence export contracts with allies
Ukraine is finalising its first defence export contracts under drone deals with its allies, the country’s senior security official said on Wednesday.
Rustem Umerov, Ukraine’s defence and security council chairman, said on the Telegram app that Kyiv would ease the procedures for issuing defence export licenses.
Bryony Gooch20 May 2026 15:31