Furious England fans have blasted Thomas Tuchel with the Three Lions boss set to confirm his controversial selections for this summer’s World Cup today.
Tuchel will front the media at Wembley Stadium as he announces the 26 players he believes can deliver the nation’s first World Cup in 60 years when they travel to the United States for the biggest tournament on the planet.
However, in a chaotic sequence of events, Tuchel’s decisions were leaked on Thursday night, with Harry Maguire confirming that he had been overlooked, despite enjoying a strong end to the season with Manchester United.
That decision sparked outrage within the Maguire household and his mother, Zoe, took to X to reveal she was ‘absolutely disgusted’ by Tuchel’s snub. The defender’s brothers also shared their fury on social media.
But it’s not the only controversial decision Tuchel is expected to confirm today, with Phil Foden, Cole Palmer, Lewis Hall, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Morgan Gibbs-White also understood to have been left at home.
Foden and Palmer have delivered in England shirts in previous major tournaments, but their poor form this campaign has seen them snubbed, while Forest star Gibbs-White has arguably been the standout performer in his position – scoring 17 goals and providing seven assists for his club.
England boss Thomas Tuchel has attracted criticism for his expected England selections
Harry Maguire has stunningly been overlooked by the England boss for the World Cup
Fans shared their thoughts on social media, and the consensus was overwhelmingly against Tuchel.
‘No Lewis Hall is borderline treason,’ content creator Tom Garratt wrote on X. ‘Can the king not step in?’
‘When you actually think about it,’ Rory Jennings said, ‘it’s a disgrace that Thomas Tuchel is England manager, a national embarrassment.’
@Gideoomatic said: ‘Tuchel has somehow managed to unite the entire English fanbase against, quite impressive actually.’
‘Tuchel has lost his mind,’ said another fan. ‘What on earth.’
Another user posted: ‘This Thomas Tuchel England line up’ accompanied by a picture of an underwhelming selection of beers on draught at a pub.
@Ellis_ added: ‘Gibbs-White has been the best English attacking midfielder this season and he’s also been left out of the squad.
‘Was Tuchel and the English coaching staff drunk when they made the squad selection or what?’
England’s full squad announcement is due this morning, with live coverage on Daily Mail Sport from 8.30am.
Our experts Ian Ladyman and Jack Gaughan will be sharing their thoughts – and what they’ve heard from the Three Lions camp – when they reply to YOUR comments in our England squad announcement live blog today.
Fans flooded to social media to share their anger at the decisions made by Tuchel
Elsewhere, Daily Mail Sport readers have had their say on the players Thomas Tuchel should select in his 26-man squad as England look to win this summer’s World Cup.
Maguire was picked by 72.9 per cent of readers in their squads – the 14th most selected player – while Foden was 16th having been selected by 71.5 per cent.
Gibbs-White was included in 70.5 per cent of squads, while Palmer featured in 65.9 per cent.
Fans opted for Jordan Pickford, Dean Henderson and Nick Pope as England’s three goalkeepers for the tournament.
Pickford remains the clear No 1 in the eyes of fans, with 97.7 per cent choosing him in their squads, making him the third most selected player.
Maguire was chosen as one of England’s centre backs alongside Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa and John Stones.
Fans have opted for Reece James and Trent Alexander-Arnold as right backs, while Nico O’Reilly and Lewis Hall serve as left backs after enjoying impressive seasons for Man City and Newcastle.
The selection of Alexander-Arnold comes despite Tuchel seemingly overlooking him for the tournament.
Alexander-Arnold, who has a single substitute appearance against Andorra for Tuchel, was selected by 67 per cent of fans.
Fans selected Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Morgan Rogers, Elliot Anderson, Kobbie Mainoo, Foden and Gibbs-White to battle for places in England’s midfield.
Rice was chosen by 98 per cent of fans, the second most selected England player in the squad.
This was only improved upon by Harry Kane, with the England captain chosen 98.8 per cent of the time by fans, as he prepares to lead the line at the World Cup.
Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford, Eberechi Eze, Ollie Watkins, Palmer, Anthony Gordon and Jarrod Bowen also made the cut among England fans.
Daily Mail Sport readers, despite Arsenal’s title triumph, have found no place in their squads for Arsenal’s Noni Madueke and Myles Lewis-Skelly.